Parties in the Park
Birthday Parties and events may be held under the three pavilions located behind the Nature Discovery Center (see map here). The large pavilion covers three 8-foot picnic tables (seating = 36 kids or 30 adults), while each of the two smaller pavilions covers one 6-foot picnic table (seating = eight kids or six adults). Reservations must be made in advance for all events held in the pavilion area.
Pavilion Rental Amenities and Guidelines:
• Exclusive use of the pavilions for three hours
• Option to decorate pavilions (piñatas or streamers) but return to previous condition after party
• Access to large trash bins
• Allow set-up time and clean-up time when you make your party plans and pavilion reservations
Meetings or Retreats at the Center
Hold your next staff retreat, board meeting or planning session at the Nature Discovery Center (operated from the Henshaw House), with easy access to Russ Pitman Park. You can meet outside at the picnic tables, under our pavilions or inside the Center.
Rental of the Nature Discovery Center is $75.00 per hour. We offer a discount of 10% for nonprofit organizations.
Center Rental Amenities and Guidelines:
• The downstairs of the Center features three connected rooms (a meeting room, living room, and dining room) and a kitchen available for your use. Please review our downstairs floorplan for room sizes and seating capacities, or drop by to see the space.
• The kitchen facilities include: a refrigerator and freezer, stove, oven, microwave, and electric coffee pots.
• Added amenities: thirty stacking meeting room chairs, four 6-foot tables, a fixed projection screen for slide or presentations (you supply your own projector), and two downstairs restrooms.
The Nature Discovery Center does not provide food or drinks, but outside catering for your event is welcome. Please have your caterer contact us for guidelines.
Restrictions and Payment
Because we are located inside a city park, there can be no pets, alcoholic beverages, or smoking in the building, grounds, or parking lots.
A $100.00 deposit and signed contract are required at the time of reservation. Payment in full is required 48 hours before the event. Failure to pay will result in forfeiture of reservation and deposit. Cancellations must be made no later than 48 hours before your event. Failure to provide 48-hour notice will result in forfeiture of deposit.
For facility rental inquiries, please call the Center at 713.667.6550.