August 10 – 14 Backboned Beasts
Join us as we discover the fascinating world of vertebrate animals: fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals. We’ll visit with some live animals, discover the science behind the different groups, and engage with some fun crafts and activities. Become a junior zoologist with us this summer as we explore:
Choose your own adventure this summer with our modular Camps on the Go! packages. Each package contains the materials, resources, and links needed for a week full of daily, science themed camp fun!
Daily Camp Activity Modules
Campers can complete the daily camp activity modules in any order and over as much time as they like, picking and choosing their daily camp schedule to meet their interests and attention spans. Campers could spend from 3 to 4 hours a day engaged in the hands on activities and crafts and soaking up the information and humor in recorded and live video lessons with our Head Naturalist Eric Duran.
- 2 – 3 Video Lessons with our Head Naturalist, including live animals or demonstrations (10 – 30 min each)
- 1 – 2 Activities, Games or Demos to try at home (5 – 20 min each)
- 1 – 2 Crafts with instructions and materials (5 – 20 min each) that may inspire additional themed imaginative play
- 1 – 2 Self-guided Outdoor/Indoor Scavenger Hunts or Hikes (10 – 20 min each)
- An Interactive Zoom Discussion of the days projects with Eric and a live animal visitor (20 – 30 min)
- A Link Out to watch a short video on the topic on another educational site (ie: BBC Earth, PBS Nature, etc.)
CAMP ON THE GO! PROGRAM DETAILS
Participants in our Camps on the Go! program will receive:
• an email with a private link to the camp wesbite “hub” for their Camp on the Go! topic. This website will house a grid with the weekly calendar of lesson and activity modules including:
- links to lesson and demo videos
- links to printable PDFs as needed for crafts and activities
- links to the daily interactive Zoom discussion (this is optional for those who are Zoom-ed out, but it will be an interactive time where campers can ask questions of Eric about the day’s topic, share with other campers the things they have done and/or created that day, etc.
• a packet of additional materials and resources needed to complete camp activities, which they will pick up from the Center in advance of their registered camp week. Details of packet pick up will be sent out in a Camps on the Go! email. These packets will contain:
- craft supplies
- activity supplies as needed
- printed materials as needed to accompany crafts and activities
Camps on the Go! Costs
$75 Members / $85 Nonmembers
Camp on the Go! packet pick up will be available the Friday through Sunday before camp on Monday between 9 am and 5 pm. Please register by 5 pm the Thursday before your camp starts to allow time for us to prepare your camp packet for pick-up.
Note: If you would like to register for a Camp on the Go! after it has already debuted (later on in the summer), we would be happy to arrange packet pick up via email. In these cases, the Interactive Zoom Discussions you will have access to will be recorded from the week the camp originally ran. If your camper has any questions about their camp, they can email Eric Duran, their Camp Instructor, at the email address provided in their initial Camps on the Go! email.