We’ve added new August camps!
Summer Science Camp at the Nature Discovery Center will look and feel different this year as we implement camp modifications and institute new health and safety policies and procedures in light of the Coronavirus.
We’ve planned three weeks of engaging summer camp fun at the Center that will entertain and educate your campers while keeping them safe. Each theme will be offered twice this summer, so that more campers can experience each topic.
- Camper Ages: 5 to 10 (sorry, no “almost 5’s” for these camps)
- Camp Size: 10 campers, 1 instructor, 1 head counselor
- Camper Groups: Campers will be socially distanced within two separate groups of 5 campers in their own camp rooms when inside the Center. Campers may socially distance in one group of 10 when outside in the Park.
- **NEW** Camp Hours: 9 am – 2 pm
- Campers Bring: Re-fillable water bottles, and lunch. No toys from home of any kind will be allowed at camp. We will provide individually prepackaged snacks for campers in the morning and afternoon.
- Camp Costs: $260 Members / $330 Nonmembers
Remaining Camp Weeks and Topics
- Jul 27 – 31 – Water Wonders: Wet and Wild (WAIT LIST Status)
- Aug 3 – 7 – Wild Encounters (WAIT LIST Status)
- Aug 10 – 14 – Hide and Seek (WAIT LIST Status)
- Aug 17 – 21 – Water Wonders: Wet and Wild (WAIT LIST Status)
- Aug 24 – 28 – Wild Encounters (WAIT LIST Status)
Hide and Seek Week
Learn strategies animals and plants use to hunt and locate each other in the wild. Put those strategies into practice in a multitude of hide & seek games. Create camouflage crafts and build hiding spots in the woods.
Water Wonders: Wet and Wild
Put water to the test in a series of aquatic games and activities to discover the properties of water, observe aquatic habitats and the living things that call water home. Learn first hand what it takes to be an aquatic biologist. Get ready to get wet and make a splash!
Join us for a fun exploration of the animals in our park and around Texas. We’ll learn the animal groups and learn how to study them (as well as some basic animal science) by encountering live animals in the classroom and out in the field. Become a junior zoologist at the Center!
Important Camp Parent Information and Forms
Note: these two forms must be filled out and brought to check-in on Monday morning.
- Parents are required to answer pre-camp health and exposure screening questions for camp availability.
- **NEW** Parents need to familiarize themselves with new procedures for camper drop-off and pick-up before coming to camp on Monday.
- Parents need to understand and comply with new policies for campers who develop symptoms during camp and/or who are absent from camp.
Additional Information About Camp Hygiene
- All camp spaces inside the center will be disinfected during the day while the campers are outside and again at the end of the day.
- The Center will be closed to the public during camp, and no parents will be allowed inside the building. Camper pick-up and drop-off will be in front of the Center.
- Campers will be given their own labeled set of supplies to use during camp to minimize sharing of resources (scissors, tape, glue, crayons, clipboards, etc.).
- Tools used by campers (hand lenses, binoculars, nets, bug boxes, etc. will be disinfected between uses.
- Campers will wash their hands with soap and water immediately upon arrival and between activities, and they will have access to alcohol based hand sanitizer throughout the day.
- Campers and camp staff will have their temperatures taken upon arrival and again during lunch.
- Campers will maintain safe social distances of 6 feet from other campers and staff.
- Camp staff (instructors and counselors) will be required to wear masks inside the Center and any time they will be less than 6 feet from campers when outside.
Note: Some camps may already be full and on Wait List Status. Please go ahead and sign up for the wait list in case there are cancellations. We will notify you as soon as possible if you make it in to camp.
Please alert the Center ASAP by calling 713.667.6550 AND sending an email if your plans change or you need to withdraw from camp.
Please see our FAQ for Classes and Camps for our cancellation and refund policies.